A little (or in this case ALLOT of) “area” grooming can go a long way to surprise and delight but this little procedure can be a painful one no matter how much your significant other may like it.
Here are 5 tips to cope:
1: The right time and place.
- Find an awesome beauty therapist “a bush whisperer” – who does it with the least amount of pain inflicted and who you feel comfortable showing your “bits” to
- Going during that time of the month is a no no! Why?: a) awkward, b) more painful
2: Emla and cling wrap – IT IS THE FUTURE!
- Emla is a numbing cream available at most chemists and you should all have cling wrap at home – don’t judge me just yet on this one, trust me you’ll thank me
- Rub as much Emla as possible on the area (AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE) and do not rub in completely, there should be a thin film of cream left over the area
- Grab your cling wrap and wrap the entire area by pulling the cling wrap around your hips and through your legs until you have a cling wrap nappy (yes beauty is pain)
- Wait 45 minutes to 1 hour (so yes you will be walking around with a cling wrap nappy under your clothes for a while) and pop a painkiller while you’re at it.
- Wipe off just before your appointment or tell the “bush whisperer”
- And trust me it will be the best wax you have ever had (still a little uncomfortable but not bite on a stick and white knuckles sore)
- AN IMPORTANT NOTE – PLAN WHEN AND WHERE YOU DO THIS: the last time I did this I was forced to execute this task in a toilet cubicle at work, this lead to a) weird looks from people waiting outside the bathroom cubicle – when you are in there for 15 minutes with the sound of pulling cling wrap things get weird b) embarrassment as no one even wanted to go into the cubicle after me and I wasn’t about to explain
Tip 3: Expect the “turn around”.
- They will ask you to turn around – it is a Hollywood so no hair must be left unwaxed
- Just close your eyes and bare it – excuse the pun
Tip 4: Post Hollywood care.
- 24 hours after your Hollywood you should start exfoliating the area with a soft loofah or sponge this will help keep away in grown hairs
- Buy a good after wax no ingrown treatment – ask your “bush whisperer” for advice on which works best
Tip 5: Go every 4 weeks.
- This means less pain, a quicker appointment and less regrowth in the future
- When you go back “full bush” you can expect full pain
They say no pain no gain – I say WHATEVER!